Wednesday, June 8, 2011

I wish they spoke


Daughters are like flowers, they fill the world with beauty, and sometimes attract pests.

And pests there are plenty in the society. I am myself a mother of two girls and what’s going on in the society really bothers me .Not long ago we heard and saw splashed all over the newspapers and television channels a certain Radhika Tanwar who was killed by her jilted lover. What is implausible to my mind is that her parents had no inkling that such a person existed in her life.

Recently I heard of a well brought up girl who chose to swallow 30 sleeping pills (just like that) over a squabble with her boyfriend instead of seeking advise /counseling from her parents.

I mean fair enough its their life and all that; but what have the parents done? Aren’t they entitled to be privy to such a big decision in their daughter’s life?

It’s not about raising and rearing a child but also about feeling deceived when the child chooses to take her life or in Radhika’s case lives dangerously with a violent lover instead of informing their parents.

I am not sure if the dynamics of social fabric or rather parent child relationship has changed so drastically or is it their lack of confidence in themselves and their parents that leads them to take such drastic steps over something so trivial.

Orphan is a word that describes a child who loses his parents but there is apparently no word for a parent who loses his/her child.

In most cases, suicide is a solitary event and yet it has often far-reaching repercussions for many others. It is rather like throwing a stone into a pond; the ripples spread and spread.

Think about it!

1 comment:

  1. Wow!!!powerful!I agree Snehal,I also wish girls would speak up more and share what is bothering them instead of just giving up.

    ReplyDelete